Your Belongings and Water Damage
Water damage not only affects your home but also your belongings. You can take some precautionary measures before the professionals at SERVPRO show up to help salvage your contents.
- First and foremost, you should take video or photographs of any items that are submerged in water or have suffered water damage and submit those photos to SERVPRO and/or your insurance adjuster.
- Prioritize which items take priority over others, especially if dealing with a sewage backup but pay close attention to the items that mean the most to you.
- Air circulation with fans and dehumidification can be helpful in the drying process with some contents.
- If you have documents and/or photographs that suffer water damage, you can do a couple things to help salvage them. Place wet items on a flat surface and air dry, for those fully submerged items place in a ziploc bag and freeze.
- Regarding electronics do not attempt to turn on or operate any electronics that are suspected of having water damage. Allow the professionals to handle electronics that have suffered water damage.
As always, the best practice if not sure on what to do is call on the professionals at SERVPRO of Stevens Point to handle your water damaged contents at 715-544-4855. They can take your bad situation and make it, “Like it never even happened.”
If You Have Questions or Need Help,
Call Us Today – (715) 370-7181
SERVPRO of Wausau, Stevens Point, NW Wisconsin Rapids, and Marshfield specializes in restoring contents damaged by fire, water, or mold. Our expertise and “restore” versus “replace” mentality can help you save money while preserving precious keepsakes that can’t be replaced. We pretest your contents to determine what items can be restored back to their condition before the water damage. We utilize several methods of cleaning your contents, including the following:
- Dry Cleaning - Used for cleaning light residues or to pre-clean prior to wet cleaning.
- Wet Cleaning - An effective cleaning method for removing moderate to heavy residues.
- Spray and Wipe -Effective for items that can’t withstand wet cleaning.
- Foam Cleaning - Used for upholstery fabrics that might shrink or bleed if wet cleaned.
- Abrasive Cleaning - Involves agitation of the surface being cleaned.
- Immersion Cleaning - Contents are dipped into a bath of the cleaning product.
If your home requires extensive restoration or cleaning, SERVPRO of Wausau, Stevens Point, NW Wisconsin Rapids, and Marshfield can conduct an organized, efficient move-out of the affected area. A move-out will provide several benefits, including the following:
- A quicker remodeling process
- Protecting items from potential damage
- Protecting contents from further on-site damage
When restoration is completed, we will work with you to coordinate the move-in according to your needs. The services offered upon move-in may depend on your insurance coverage.
Water-damaged electronics can present a serious hazard. Do not attempt to turn on or operate any electrical device that you suspect has been damaged by water. We will coordinate the restoration of your electronics, including:
- Television sets
- DVD players
- And more
The key to restoring electronics is taking prompt action to prevent further damage. We start by cleaning the exterior of electronic devices to help stop further corrosion and damage. Electronics will be cleaned and inspected by a qualified electronics technician.
Document / Photograph Drying
When your valuable documents, including photographs, are damaged by water, extreme caution should be taken to help ensure the water damage does not destroy the document. Although some documents may not be restored to pre-water damage condition, SERVPRO of Wausau, Stevens Point, NW Wisconsin Rapids, and Marshfield can save a great deal and help minimize additional damage.
Depending on the type of documents and the level of water damage, we have five options for the restoration of documents:
- Air Drying
- Freezer Drying
- Vacuum Freeze Drying
- Vacuum Thermal Drying
Contents Claim Inventory Service
When a water emergency strikes, the damage can often feel overwhelming. We can help ease the worry and confusion during the recovery process by offering our Contents Claim Inventory Service (CCIS), which provides a detailed and accurate list of your belongings. We take a room-by-room inventory of your contents, including digital photos, and in some instances, bar coding.
Our Contents Claim Inventory Service:
- Preloss list and value of contents
- Detailed and accurate report
- Better information to settle claims quicker
- Assistance with burden of proof for claims
- Peace of mind when you need it most